Assistant Controller Job Posting
INTERESTED IN APPLYING FOR AN ASSISTANT CONTROLLER POSITION?
ROLE: ASSISTANT CONTROLLER
We are hiring for the role of Assistant Controller. The successful candidate will work under the Controller in an apprenticeship-style format to learn the ins and outs of the business. This is an operational accounting role where ½ of the role will be accounting focused, and the other ½ will be operations focused with involvement in HR, Safety, and other back-office support functions. The result is an interesting variety of experience and duties. There will never be a boring day!
We are a field services business providing millwright and field machining services to a range of industries including Oil & Gas, Mining, Power Generation, Pulp & Paper, Food, and Steelmaking, in both Western Canada and Internationally. Founded in 2012 , the company is equally owned by 6 ticketed tradespeople who are active in the business and with whom the successful candidate will work hand-in-hand. Working directly with ownership is always more rewarding.
- BComm or Equivalent with an Accounting Major
- Strong MS Excel skills
- Strong MS Powerpoint skills
- Strong communication skills and good telephone manners
- Familiarity with Quickbooks would be an asset
- Spanish would be an asset for our international work
- Willingness to pursue an accounting designation (funding would be provided)
- Self-starter attitude – Must be eager to learn and step in and help wherever capable
- Perform bank reconciliations
- Compile month-end reports for shareholder reporting
- Variance analysis to identify and explain unusual financial results
- Working with external accounting firm for year-end review
- Assistance with KPI measurement
- Assistance with AP, AR and payroll for seasonal & holiday coverage
- Coordinate job applicants for interviews (millwright and machinist tradespeople)
- Participate in interviews and coordinate the hiring process
- Assist with administering the benefits plan
- Assist with the management of our safety program.
- Scheduling personnel for hotels, flights, camp bookings
We are looking for a recent graduate out of a BComm program with a major in accounting. Other business majors would be considered if the applicant has an accounting minor and a strong interest in pursuing an accounting designation. Please send applications along with a covering letter detailing your interest in the role to email@example.com.
Octo mechanical, providing millwright and on-site machining services
Octo Mechanical Inc. is a Millwright and Onsite/Portable Machining service firm based in Edmonton, AB. We provide a range of services to clients throughout Western Canada and internationally. With a crew of over 40 skilled Millwrights and Machinists we have had experience with projects that range in scope.
We have worked on small one-man jobs as well as large industrial construction sites requiring multiple crews on day & night shifts.
Our focus on quality, safety and getting the job done has resulted in all of our our customers becoming repeat clients. We genuinely enjoy what we do and it shows through our work.
We are commited to safety
At Octo Mechanical we are committed to safety! Through our personal safety programs, site specific qualifications, and the safety culture that exists among all our personnel, we comply with all industry safety standards and hope to set the bar higher. No job is important enough to risk the health or lives of our people.